To Finish Divine: Back to School...

To Finish Divine

or the state of my knitting and quilting UFOs and other unfinished business...

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to School...

Wow..Time keeps flying by. It's been several days since the last update. I have been working on the mates to the Socks for Soldiers socks, alternating between the BBS and the leisure sock. They are both at approximately 4" each on the legs..Not a whole lot of progress, but I keep plugging away. I've also been working on a couple of scarf ufos which are done with large needles and ribbon yarn, a nice break from black fingering yarn on size 1s! I will post photos of those soon.

I've also been trying to spend as much time as possible with my oldest child, who will be returning to college this weekend for her sophomore year. The summer has certainly flown by (that seems to be a repeating theme for me) and now it is time to send her off again. (Actually we have to drive her up and move her in as she doesn't drive.) She is only about 2 hours away, just far enough for both of us.

Last night was spent at freshman orientation at the high school with my youngest who is starting her freshman year. Again..Where has the time gone? This transition will be a tad easier for me though, as I work at the same school that she will be attending. She is a bit anxious about it..I'm not sure if it is the academic expectations (she is an all honors student, so she has nothing to worry about in that area) or just the social aspects of the new environment, but I am sure it is all just normal, adolescent stuff.

The other new development of the past few days is that I, too, am going back to school. After being away for 27 years, I am starting back at a local college next week. It is another of my "unfinished" things... probably my oldest UFO. I was just 2 semesters away from finishing my bachelor's degree that was started in the mid 70's. For various reasons, it wasn't completed, but I had every intention of going right back within a year and getting it done. Well, as we know, time does fly and that one year led to 5, led to 10, led to 25, and here we are. It has been something that has just been nagging at me for decades! But here I am...All registered for a class! My DH didn't believe that I was actually going to go through with it..Its that whole wolf and sheep thing..He's heard it so many times that he didn't think I would really ever do it. But with my 50th birthday looming in front of me, there literally was no time like the present.(Maybe its a midlife crisis thing...hmmm) I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up", but we will let it evolve one step at a time. DH suggested that I quit working and go back to school full time, but financially we really could not afford that, and I need to ease back into this whole new academic world...Wish me luck!!

Wow..I get to buy some new yellow pencils for myself for once! Yeah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home