To Finish Divine: The month is nearly over...

To Finish Divine

or the state of my knitting and quilting UFOs and other unfinished business...

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The month is nearly over...

and I have managed to work towards finishing a thing or two in the last week or so. If I can manage to finish up at least one thing per month, either quilty or knitty or reading or life related, I will feel a sense of accomplishment. But, the year is young...

Last weekend was the Knitter's Weekend at Slater Mill in Pawtucket, RI. It was my sixth year of attending and, once again, it was a great event. I attended the Friday evening opening night which was wonderful. It included wine and cheese and trunk shows from the two instructors for the weekend, Ellen Mason and Thea Colman. It was lovely to see their work in "real life", as I have been a big fan of Baby Cocktail's designs (Thea Colman's) for quite sometime. I was new to Ellen Mason's work, but after hearing the rave reviews from people who took her workshops and seeing her work in person, I would definitely take part in one of her classes in the future. There were also book signings by Barbara Parry (Adventures in Yarn Farming) and  Gudrun Johnston (The Shetland Trader), who also gave a wonderful lecture about the Shetland Islands, where she was born. Additionally, prior to the event, the Slater Mill had the Brown House open for people to enjoy with warm and cold beverages of all types, both modern and traditional, and more crackers and cheese, etc. available. Each of the historic rooms had a roaring fire in the fireplace and there was music and warm and cozy locations to sit, chat, and even knit if one so desired. It was a lovely evening and I look forward to next year!

On Saturday, I took a workshop with Thea Colman on design. We learned to look at yarn through a designer's eye, and make appropriate choices for pattern and design to use with that yarn to make a cowl. In the four hour course, I barely got to the swatching of my pattern design choice, while others were well on their way to working on their finished cowls. It wasn't about the product in this class as it was about the process, and I learned so much. I will never look at my yarn stash and project choices the same way again. If Thea returns again, I would not hesitate to take a class with her! She stated that our Saturday morning class was her first "official" workshop given outside of her home. I was so lucky to be a part of her initiation! She is a wonderful teacher and her work is inspiring!

It has otherwise been a crazy week. Weather has caused us to have another snow day (our second) which will make for tons of fun in June when we have to make them up. It is the last week for my oldest to be under this roof..she has found her own apartment and will be moving out next Saturday. I obviously have mixed emotions, as contrary to what others believe, I will miss her. But it is time. She is only moving a short distance away, and as we work in the same place, although differing programs and buildings, we will be seeing quite a lot of each other I am sure. It is time. The spousal unit has also receive his first work offer in over 6 months of unemployment, which is wonderful news. I believe he will be accepting the offer, which will make life a bit easier financially around here. This has been the longest stretch of unemployment for him..although it has been several months in the past as well. For all of our sakes and sanity, thank goodness something has finally turned up.

I am almost finished with my Rhinebeck sweater that I started last summer which was supposed to be done in time to wear it to the New York Sheep and Wool Festival last October. I am hoping to have it done in time for this week's Knitting Guild meeting on Wednesday. But with school work being of more importance (the new semester started this week as well), it is not a top priority. Maybe tonight while watching Downton Abbey and Sherlock I will make some progress.

This Tuesday I will be bring the girls to a concert in Boston. It is the Acoustically Irish concert with Ryan Kelly and Neil Byrne from Celtic Thunder. It is at a little restaurant/club venue and should be fun. It will be good to see my youngest as well. I'll let you know how it all goes. Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home